Monday, October 19, 2009

Sam Cooke - Bring it on home to me

The last post I talked about Bobby Womack, what many people don't realise is that Bobby Womack was part of Sam Cookes entourage when Sam was hitting it big. Not long after sam died of a gunshot wound outside his hotel by some crazed fan, Bobby Womack married Sams widow!... thats how much Bobby loved the guy I guess...[not!] emphasis added read the comment by Erik Green below

...anyway Sam died way too early, like all the legends he left a short but sweet collection of inpriring set of songs that continues to be covered by almost everyone in the business. This one is my favourite and was the intro to "Ali" the movie.

3 comments:

  1. That's how much Bobby loved Sam? If you died and one of your "friends" shows up to your funeral driving YOUR Rolls-Royce, wearing YOUR clothes with YOUR widow on his arm, would you see that as a sign of respect? Then, if one of your "friend's" biggest hits was a song called "I Wish He Didn't Trust Me So Much," would you see any honor in that?

    Bobby's actions weren't befitting of a man who Sam took under his wing as a teenager, sent him and his brothers money to buy a new station wagon to drive from Cleveland to Hollywood, and rescued from abject poverty. Sorry, I don't see it.

    Not blaming you, Wonz. Most people don't know the whole story.

    Erik Greene
    Author, Our Uncle Sam: The Sam Cooke Story From His Family's Perspective
    www.OurUncleSam.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa...sorry dude I was actually being sarcastic...guess that didn't come through strong enough...I'll add some parentheses to the summary, I only started this blog for fun and my short summaries to the songs I introduce are just bits and pieces of infomation I've picked up over the years so I'll most likely get stuff wrong, in this case its just a misunderstanding. I too remember shaking my head when I read about it bobby marrying sams wife. Anyway I'll check your website out and get the downlow. Thank god for the freedom of the internet and people like you who point out things to people like me. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. My uncle's legacy is important to me as I guess you see. My mission to educate and correct mistruths, not criticize and start arguments, so I hope you didn't misconstrue my passion for the subject as personal venom.

    Good luck with future blog subjects and thanks for featuring Sam in this one.
    Erik

    ReplyDelete

 
Search Engine Submission - AddMe